11th Annual conference on the treatment of personality disorders
When: 2 - 4 November 2017
Where: University of Wollongong
The 11th Annual Treatment of Personality Disorders conference will be held from 2 to 4 November 2017 at the University of Wollongong, near Sydney, Australia.
- Thursday, 2 November - Pre Conference Consumer & Carer Day
- Friday, 3 November - 11th Annual Conference on the Treatment of Personality Disorders - Understanding narcissistic personalities and other relationship complexities
- Saturday, 4 November - Workshop - Psychotherapy for narcissistic personality disorder: clinical dilemmas and recommendations - Professor Elsa Ronningstam (USA)
We are delighted to announce Professor Elsa Ronningstam from Harvard Medical School and McLean Hospital will present a keynote on Friday "Understanding narcissistic personalities: what research and clinical experience teaches us" and an all day clinical workshop on Saturday "Psychotherapy for narcissistic personality disorder: clinical dilemmas and recommendations."
The draft program for Friday's 11th Annual Treatment of Personality Disorders conference - includes a wonderful set of international and national speakers:
- Opening - Dr Peggy Brown, CEO National Mental Health Commission
- Professor Elsa Ronningstam (Harvard, USA) "Understanding narcissistic personalities: what research and clinical experience teaches us"
- Stephanie Leary (consumer advocate, Queensland) "My recovery from BPD: a daily journey"
- Ann Bennis (carer advocate, NSW) "Revelations, reflections and rebuilding: Life after exiting the narcissistic personality disorder marriage"
- Professor David Winter (Hertfordshire UK) "What do people communicate when they present to the emergency department with self-harm"
- Louise Fisher (NSW) "Narcissism: Therapist views of the therapeutic journey"
- Shian-Ling Keng (NUS Singapore) "Parental invalidation and BPD symptoms"
- Renee Harvey (Sussex UK) "Systems training for emotional predictability and problem solving STEPPS"
The Pre-Conference Consumer and Carer Day on Thursday 2nd November will feature:
- Opening: Jonathan Harms, CEO Mental Health Carers NSW
- Lived experience talks include Beate Zanner, Peter Heggie, Shelly Kay, Mahlie Jewell.
- "What consumers and carers need to know about diagnosis and effective treatment and how to navigate the mental health system" by Prof Brin Grenyer
- Program Launch: "How to run a peer-led group program for BPD" - Fiona Ng. Project Air in consultation with a consumer advisory committee have developed an innovative structured 10-week group program co-led by a Peer Worker and Mental Health Clinician. Attendance at this afternoon workshop will provide a Certificate for Level 1 training in these practice guidelines.
Full price list is on page 4 of the conference flyer below.
Conference program will be available closer to the event.
SEE presentations from our previous conferences.
The Senate of the Commonwealth of Australia has declared the first week of October as Borderline Personality Disorder Awareness Week
Read the Senate declaration here.
There are activities and events throughout this week supporting BPD awareness, including an annual BPD conference.
For events see: